Updated: May 5
I could write about my top 5 musicals, but I decided "Why not write about your favorite musical numbers?" Which is probably a lot better so let's get to it!
1. School Song - Matilda the Musical (2022)
- This will forever be my number one simply because of the music, the choreography, and the connection. In 2019, my high school put on its own production of "Matilda the Musical" and "School Song" was the most talked about number for WEEKS before and after the performances. It was such fun and I loved every minute of it.
2. Run and Tell that - Hairspray (2007)
- One thing about me, I LOVE me some Hairspray. This was another Musical that my high school did in 2017. I love Elijah Kelly, he is one of my favorite male performers, and growing up watching him was so amazing. He has such a great voice and the way that you can tell everyone is genuinely having fun and performing is what makes this performance 20x better!
3. Candy Store/ I Say No - Heathers (2022)
- The reason why there are 2 numbers on here instead of one is that I couldn't really pick which one I liked best out of the two, and also YouTube only had the combination of both, so it worked out perfectly. Heathers has been my new obsession recently, and I cannot stop watching it, specifically, the new version that is streaming on the Roku Channel with one of my favorite female performers Alisa Davidson. Every single character both named and unnamed are amazing and they truly tell a great story.
4. Steppin' to the Bad Side - Dreamgirls (2006)
- This movie came out the year after I was born, so I grew up watching it over and over as if I had never seen it before. It includes 3 of my top female vocalists: Beyonce Knowles, Anika Noni Rose, and Jennifer Hudson. As well as one of the amazing and talented male actors I grew up watching: Eddie Murphy. It was so cool seeing a movie that was all about African Americans in the Music Industry, and learning all of the music was even better. This song specifically always made me smile from ear to ear and I can sing it word for word in full character.
5. America - West Side Story (2021)
- The AMAZING and TALENTED Ariana Debose has done it yet again. This honestly is tied with my #1. I love this song so much and Anita Baker is my DREAM role. I would do ANYTHING to be able to recreate this amazing performance. The colors, the choreography, the passion. I love it all and I would watch this forever if I could.